Name change in TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicknLittle

My divorce was final last month. I had been told name change with a divorce is free, and I had assumed, with the marriage I didn't have to do anything but show my marriage license to change my name with everything, so I thought with the divorce I would just need to show the divorce papers, and maybe show the marriage license to show my maiden name along with my married name. My mom told me tonight that when she got divorced (although this was years ago) that she would have had to pay to change her name, that you have to go through court to change it, and her lawyer back then had told her it is not part of the divorce but a separate thing.

I started searching around online, I found Mississippi laws for it saying that it needs to be in the divorce agreement. I cannot find anything on Tennessee laws which is where the divorce was. So I need to know what process to go through to change my name. I did find a form online for petition of name change in TN, but I don't know where to send it or if it will cost me anything. But we did not have anything in our divorce agreement about me going back to my maiden name because I didn't know it needed to be in there (or if it needed to be in there) and I did not have a lawyer.

Also, since I'm living in Mississippi now, I'd looked up their laws on it, it says you have to be a resident to change it here, to have lived here for 6 months, but I just moved here. I was living in Nebraska from January to the end of August, and I guess I'd technically be a resident there now? Was living in TN before then, and that is where the divorce was final. So what state would I need to file for name change in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back