Motel Tenant Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus777Lord

Hello I am a recently divorced single Mom. I've been staying in a motel in the city of Bloomington since May 24th, 2003, because we are homeless. I am writing to find-out what my rights and responsibilities are as a tenant in a motel being that each city is under a different law. Every since I've been staying at the motel I've been paying a weekly rate. My son and me have under went various incidents and I just want to know what my rights are. First off the housekeepers search my drawers, remove items from the room and search my personal items on a regular basis. Last Saturday, July 19th, 2003, I asked the staff at the motel for an extension on the weekly rent because I just started a new job and I have to wait until Friday 25th, 2003 before I get paid. The gentleman who manages the apartment for the owner was onsite and he agreed to allow me to remain there until Monday, July 21st, 2003 after which time I needed to speak with either the assistant manager or owner to see if they would allow me to stay until Friday, which is when I got paid. He also told me that they regular manager allows people to stay in situations of that nature and puts up the money out of his own pocket (but that manager was on vacation). The assistant manager told me that she allows people to stay if they put up collateral to secure the money due, but said in my case I needed to talk with the owner. Nevertheles, on Sunday, July 20th, 2003, I put my Xerox copy machine/printer (valued at $1500) up as collateral. Then on Monday, July 21, 2003, both the assistant manager and owner called me several times on my new job to tell me that I would have to put the rest of my computer equipment up as collateral to hold until Friday and they wanted me to sign something stating that I agreed to pay a daily room rate, plus late fees of $10 per/day. Whereas I usually pay $285. Now they're charging me $411. Is that legal to charge me a daily rate and late fees with them holding my computer monitor, copier/fax, computer tower, and keyboard as collateral? And is it legal for them to search my room? My 12 year old son is there throughout the day and he watches them do these things. On Tuesday, July 22nd, the assist manager then the owner phoned me on my job to tell me that the computer monitor and tower were old junk. They wanted the other equipment I had in my room. Mind you, unless they hooked up and went into the system they wouldn't know what the computers have on them because I had several systems and both have current software on them. Therefore, yesterday after I got off from work after the assistant manager and housekeeping supervisor went into my room to look at my computer equipment. After work, I gave them the computer tower that I thought they wanted, being that the assistant manager and owner were not present when I got back to the motel I had to ask another staff member if the equipment I brought to them was the one they were after. So today I guess the staff will call me on my job, with more demands and harassment if the didn't get what they wanted. I need my equipment because I use it for school. I am so near graduation come November 2003, and this causes a major dilemma for me.

On Sunday, July 13th, 2003, there was water because pipe had busted, then on Monday, July 14th, 2003 there was only cold water because the pipe still hadn't been repaired.

On Thurday, July 17th, 2003, a few of the tenants got into a gang scuffle. One of the tenants had a shotgun and fired it off once. After that 10 rooms were vacated behind that incident because the occupants were involved in gang activity. It seems as if they're trying to make me pay for some of the money loss.

In a message dated 7/23/03 7:52:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Jesus777Lord writes:

Subj: Tenant Rights
Date: 7/23/03 7:52:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time
To: karen@aagie.com

Yes, with regards to the matter previously discussed. The assistant manager called me at work ( I saved the message) this morning at 8:00am, on my job to tell me that they wanted additional computer equipment and I had to bring it to them today after work.

Originally posted by Jesus777Lord:
Hello I am a recently divorced single Mom. I've been staying in a motel in the city of Bloomington since May 24th, 2003, because we are homeless. I am writing to find-out what my rights and responsibilities are as a tenant in a motel being that each city is under a different law. Every since I've been staying at the motel I've been paying a weekly rate. My son and me have under went various incidents and I just want to know what my rights are. First off the housekeepers search my drawers, remove items from the room and search my personal items on a regular basis. Last Saturday, July 19th, 2003, I asked the staff at the motel for an extension on the weekly rent because I just started a new job and I have to wait until Friday 25th, 2003 before I get paid. The gentleman who manages the apartment for the owner was onsite and he agreed to allow me to remain there until Monday, July 21st, 2003 after which time I needed to speak with either the assistant manager or owner to see if they would allow me to stay until Friday, which is when I got paid. He also told me that they regular manager allows people to stay in situations of that nature and puts up the money out of his own pocket (but that manager was on vacation). The assistant manager told me that she allows people to stay if they put up collateral to secure the money due, but said in my case I needed to talk with the owner. Nevertheles, on Sunday, July 20th, 2003, I put my Xerox copy machine/printer (valued at $1500) up as collateral. Then on Monday, July 21, 2003, both the assistant manager and owner called me several times on my new job to tell me that I would have to put the rest of my computer equipment up as collateral to hold until Friday and they wanted me to sign something stating that I agreed to pay a daily room rate, plus late fees of $10 per/day. Whereas I usually pay $285. Now they're charging me $411. Is that legal to charge me a daily rate and late fees with them holding my computer monitor, copier/fax, computer tower, and keyboard as collateral? And is it legal for them to search my room? My 12 year old son is there throughout the day and he watches them do these things. On Tuesday, July 22nd, the assist manager then the owner phoned me on my job to tell me that the computer monitor and tower were old junk. They wanted the other equipment I had in my room. Mind you, unless they hooked up and went into the system they wouldn't know what the computers have on them because I had several systems and both have current software on them. Therefore, yesterday after I got off from work after the assistant manager and housekeeping supervisor went into my room to look at my computer equipment. After work, I gave them the computer tower that I thought they wanted, being that the assistant manager and owner were not present when I got back to the motel I had to ask another staff member if the equipment I brought to them was the one they were after. So today I guess the staff will call me on my job, with more demands and harassment if the didn't get what they wanted. I need my equipment because I use it for school. I am so near graduation come November 2003, and this causes a major dilemma for me.

On Sunday, July 13th, 2003, there was water because pipe had busted, then on Monday, July 14th, 2003 there was only cold water because the pipe still hadn't been repaired.

On Thurday, July 17th, 2003, a few of the tenants got into a gang scuffle. One of the tenants had a shotgun and fired it off once. After that 10 rooms were vacated behind that incident because the occupants were involved in gang activity. It seems as if they're trying to make me pay for some of the money loss.

In a message dated 7/23/03 7:52:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Jesus777Lord writes:

Subj: Tenant Rights
Date: 7/23/03 7:52:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time
To: karen@aagie.com

Yes, with regards to the matter previously discussed. The assistant manager called me at work ( I saved the message) this morning at 8:00am, on my job to tell me that they wanted additional computer equipment and I had to bring it to them today after work.
Honestly, it sounds as though there is more to the story here and that you are close to graduation and don't want to have all these hassles. I don't blame you. But did I read correctly -- you are paying $285 per day for a room?

Bottom line is that the hotel has no right to seize your property with regard to an outstanding debt. However, you should read the agreement you made with regard to staying at the hotel -- did you sign something? Did you receive something with your room key? The key to your rights might be found in those instruments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back