Accused of Stealing - Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennbo

Until today, my daughter worked for a nuerologist in Mobile, AL. Last Monday, my daughter missed worked to have a medical procedire performed. She obtained a doctor's excuse and returned to work on Tuesday morning. She was the first person in the office and discovered that someone had thrown a brick through the window. She called the police.

Two days ago, the office manager was fired because the doctor said the she was the "primary suspect". The doctor asked my daughter (who is 20 years old) to have me come meet with him. I called him and he said that he needed me to write him a letter that stated that she was a "good girl" and didn't steal or do drugs. Although I thought this was insane, I faxed a letter to him today stating that she was responsible, trustworthy and mature. After he received my letter, he fired my daughter for being a "secondary suspect" because she was friendly with the office manager and because I didn't write that she doesn't do drugs or steal.

Isn't it illegal to fire someone for these reasons? She DID NOT steal from this man. Please give advice as to what we should do. She is so upset!
Thanks!

Well, he can fire who he wants under such a circumstance………..He has the right to take steps to ensure it does not happen again. It might not be fair but he can get away with it…….most employer would get away with it. They normally don't need prove to fire anyone under such a circumstance…….they can simply exercise good judgment and do what they think is right. I think your post says it all. You have the answer……….why should your daughter even want to continue to work with a guy who acts or thinks the way you describes. I think she deserves a better work environment and should not even want to go back there even if he begged. Such people who don't know who to trust can one day under such circumstances, call the cops and press charges on an innocent person……………It could mess up her clean record. Just let it fly………………..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back