problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embarrassed2007

Today I was arrested for shoplifting an amount of goods worth 131.40. I have to go before the judge this month regarding this misdemeanor.
I admitted to both the person who stopped me and the officer that I did it.

Do I need to bring a lawyer with me to the judge.

This is the first time I was ever arrested. I am 61 years old.

What can I expect to happen?

You don't need to bring a lawyer if you can't afford one. If you can, fine, bring one. If you can't just go there and plead not guilty. Then you will be given paper work to request a court appointed lawyer. He would help you cut a plea (differed adjudication) which would be acceptable to you. You will get some probation…….probably less than a year. Then the charges would be dismissed after probation. You can then try to expunge or seal it depending on your state's law. Please post in the right forum next time…….

You have nothing to worry……….You would just be there for some informal first appearance. Nothing really happens on this first day. It would be to see if you have a lawyer and then to set up the next date which only your lawyer needs to appear in most cases. You don't need your husband's presence……..unless you think you want to. Get a lawyer ……………..if you want……read my previous post. My previous post tells you the possible outcomes of the resolution of the case…..it would be most probably a plea agreement given you admitted to the crime. In most cases you can settle this case with a plea without necessarily appearing infront of a judge………..in most states.

I am very sorry to hear about what happened. IMHO one should only go pro se (a) in small claims court or (b) the dispute involves a small amount of money and hiring a lawyer isn't worth the cost or (c) there isn't any viable option.

In this instance you have a criminal offense which is much more serious than a civil case involving money. In the latter, the worst is that you may not win or may lose some small amount of money. Your case seems to be a misdemeanor. I can only hope that a prosecutor isn't seeking to try to go for the jugular against a senior first time offender and hopefully you will be able to work something out with the public defender. I would never go pro se if being prosecuted for a felony offense.

Yes, this isn't quite the right forum but I understand why you've posted here. You've got the answer about whether or not to go pro se above.

prooblem

My shoplifting charge is for 131.40 which is a misdemeanor as I understand it. How will this possibly show on my record, if for example I am going to try and find a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back