Child support from another state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyork99

Curently i have a child support order in florida. I ad to move to new york due to injury in april of 2005 because i could not work. Its been really hard to keep a stable job since then and i cannot pay the amount (106/week) set by the courts in florida. Mean while i was awaitng paternity test for my second daughter. In the time i was injured and could not work they did not take this in to consideration when they calculated back support owed for both children. When i communicated this infor mation with enforcement they did not request any medical documentation. I also was on social services fro over a year. When i did resume work i was so overwhelmed with bill i could barely afford my own living expenses. I recently recieved a new order for both my children to pay 900 dollars a month, and i do not make that a month with my current job. i did communicate my new job to enforcement and have sent a reduction request. I am behind more than 20k and connot begin to dent this number. I was wondering is a chapter 13 could help get me back on track with all my debts because some medical could not be put on social servies. Prior to my injury i was able to make payments on time on a regular basis. Of course my drivers license is suspended and i cannot go to the places i need to find a decent job. What are my optopns? If any one could help me that would be great.

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Isnt taking a drivers license for any reason other than traffic law being broken eccessive especially when you use it as a means to get to work?

Last edited:
If you cannot work then you should file for SS disability. Otherwise you have to work and pay your CS.

CS is not dischargeable in a BK.

Taking away a drivers license is not cruel and unusual punishment. If you are in arrears they can also put you in jail, you also will not be able to get a passport.

So dispite me not being able to get a better job because of lack of license i just have to take it how it is. I called enforcement and they told me to pay 1500 dollars and i could get it back but i dont have 1500 dollars nor do i have the means to acquire it. Basically what will happen is debt will pile up untill they decide to arrest me? Then when i see the judge i guess they will be forced to realize that i cannot pay an obsurd amout of 900 dollars on a pay of 7.15 and hour. If i stilll have my job after being arrested.

If you found a definite job, and need a car to get back and forth from work, then you must file a petition before the court outlining your request to re-instate your license, but you must have the said job and prove it! Letter from your employer on their letterhead would be suffice to allow the court to re-instate your license. But note there isn't any other way you cn get work except by car----you must ask youself if you can get to this job by bus, cab--yes cab or walking. Then you might have chance.
About the arreages---submit to enforcement what you can afford--beleive me they will take the money and in doing you can submit a petition showing you willingness and all for a reasonable payment. Send them something---dont ignore them!!!!!!
Your in a rough spot but dont forget you can still submit those petitions I've outlines--what's the worst that wil happen?

If you feel you are paying too much in CS then you need to file a downwards modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back