Terminated from job because of hearing lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMC51

I live in NC and was terminated from a job after being there for only a month and a half because they realized that I was hard of hearing. I couldn't hear the sensors when they went off if someone tried to leave the store without paying. Is this legal for them to do?

Maybe. If your job requires that you be able to hear the sensors AND there is either no way to provide an accomodation (maybe lights blinking instead of a sound) without creating an undue hardship AND if there is no other job they can move you into, tnen yes.

Note that I have no idea whether or not such an accomodation as I suggested is even possible and if it is, whether or not the associated costs (including downtime of the system) to make the change would be considered a hardship or not.

If I wanted to pursue this to see if it was legal then who would I contact? Would it be someone in the department of labor or a lawyer? If a lawyer then what kind of lawyer?

The appropriate regulatory agency would be the EEOC. You could also discuss it with an attorney versed in employment law, although you MUST have a right to sue letter from the EEOC before you will be allowed to take any legal action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back