Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Accused of arson

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBinCO

I recently had a house fire in the home that I am renting in Colorado. I discovered the fire after being gone all day and called 911. The fire fighters arrived and were very helpful in helping me contact my insurance company as well as helping to find a hotel room that would accept my dog.

After 5 days of constantly talking back and forth between cleaning contractors, my insurance and the fire department I was asked to come into the fire station to answer a couple of follow up questions. I sat down with two fire fighters that were also at the house on the night of the fire. I remember them specifically as being helpful to me in my time of crisis.

After a couple minutes of "small talk", the "boss" asks me if he can turn on a tape recorder while I give my statement one more time. I started at the beginning, when I left the house that day, what I did, when I got home, etc.

After an hour of going over some various things, they said that they could not determine a specific cause of the fire and because of that, accused me of starting it intentionally. I felt very blindsided by this, and tried to assure the both of them that I did not have anything to do with it. They said that because my loss was fairly large, that I did it for the insurance money. I said that it's not the insurance money that I want, I just want to have my stuff.

Basically, I feel I was asked to come to the fire station (and went willingly), but under false pretenses by them. I also feel that if I was a suspect and if they were investigating me for a crime such as this, I needed to be told that I am a suspect upfront, or at least that "I have the right to remain silent..." I've got nothing to hide, but at the same time, feel that having a lawyer on my side may have been appropriate had I known that I was a suspect.

Also, what will this do from an insurance standpoint? It's 24 hours later and I am still in the same hotel, but have had no further contact with anyone (it's Saturday, not really surprising). Will I be asked to leave the hotel? Will I be denied my claim?

Basically, I feel I was asked to come to the fire station (and went willingly), but under false pretenses by them.
Because you feel tricked does not mean it was unlawful.

I also feel that if I was a suspect and if they were investigating me for a crime such as this, I needed to be told that I am a suspect upfront, or at least that "I have the right to remain silent..."
Your feelings are not governing law. They do not HAVE to tell you that you are a suspect, and they only have to read you your Miranda rights if you are in custody (i.e. under arrest, or being held with equivalent force as an arrest).

I've got nothing to hide, but at the same time, feel that having a lawyer on my side may have been appropriate had I known that I was a suspect.
You are free to contact one now,

Also, what will this do from an insurance standpoint? It's 24 hours later and I am still in the same hotel, but have had no further contact with anyone (it's Saturday, not really surprising). Will I be asked to leave the hotel? Will I be denied my claim?
On Monday, call your adjuster. As for what will or might happen, we can only guess. However, a determination of arson might make the insurance company balk while they look into things.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back