Hiring Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennwjm

my youngest stepson was approached by a acquantance who told him his company had an opening. My understanding is that this person was told he could hire for the position. After an interview with the acquantance's manager, my step-son was told he had the job and could start working the next day.

Based upon that information, he quit his job. The next day, when he called to find out when he should start, he was told that while he was hired, he would have to wait a few days before he could start. This went on for several weeks, each time he called, he was told he was hired, but they couldn't give him a starting date. When money got short, he once again called the company and was told by the daughter of one of the owners that he was definitely hired and should know in a day or two when he would start.

Again, based upon that new information he took out a signature loan for $700-800 so that he could afford to remain unemployed until he started work. On the day he was to start, he was told that they were looking for someone with more experience and that they wouldn't need his services.

This is not a small company but a large resort company, that like many in the area, treats employees and hirees with little regard to their rights.

He has dealt with legitimate agents of the company, changed his financial position twice in response to earnest information from these agents. He now has no job and a loan to pay off, and debts that will continue to mount until he finds new employment. Does he have the right to collect this from the company?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Did he have a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back