False Complaint to HR Cost Me My Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

TightSpot

I really need some advice.
I had this manager that has treated me poorly infornt of other people for sometime now. There are others on the job that have problems with this manager as well. She just filed a false claim to HR about me. I have received very positive support from co-workers but HR doesn't care. I have been removed from this contract that I worked VERY hard on. I even worked 2 years without taking a vacation.
HR is trying to prove this one manager's claim even though I have produced documentation disputing the claim. As of rite now I am off that contract and waiting to see if I am to be fired or not.
What can I do?
My coworkers andthe client, that I have heard from, have been very supportive through this but HR doesn't care. I have yet to even been given the opportunity to tell myside of the story.

Please any advice would be a huge help.
Thank you

The manager claimed that I am violent in the work place and people are scared to approach me. In reality the manager tries to manage through intimidation by yelling at people and such. And yes I have yelled back in my defense after being verbally attacked. Again I am not the only one that has had problems with this one person. HR is trying to establish a pattern of anger but only one person is talking to HR and that is the one that filed the complaint.

Sorry, but this is an issue that will have to be handled internally. There are no laws addressing this kind of an issue.

See about getting a lawyer to review the case. Some will do a free consultation. If you are at-will may not be able to do anything, but possible defamation(?) against the manager, especially if you lose your job, money, and reputation. Find out if she put her accusations in writing to HR and it is in your employee file and if did she write you up in an employee evaluation. Did she "tell" any one else verbally or in writing to include email. Have co-workers print out any email she may have sent them regarding this matter and you need to print out any email she may have sent you along with copies of any evaluations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander_and_libel
http://jobsearchtech.about.com/cs/labor_laws_2/a/defamation_2.htm

Thank you for your advice and links.
I also asked HR to look into an event where the manager charged me from across the office yelling and screaming at me because I answered her email but not in enough detail to please her. The one witness that was there later said they thought she was going to hit me. I asked HR to question this person about this event and HR refused to look into it. I do not know if it is because she is a female, a manager, or a female in management but HR does not want to look into this at all. Also while I was talking to HR she made a comment about my appearance, stating that I am a "big guy". I have requested written confirmation as to who my accuser is and also copies of my past performance reviews. I know there is nothing in my past performance reviews to support her claim. They have not provided those documents to me as of yet. Yesterday I was told that I will not be going to that job and I am still waiting to see if I will be fired or not.

Whether you are entitled under the law to see your employment file or anything in it is state specific. You have not indicated your state.

Despite calilly's assurances, it is going to be very difficult for you to prevail in a defamation claim in an employment situation. Your manager has the right and in fact the duty to express her opinion of you, your work, and your attitude to upper management. The fact that you consider it false does not mean that she does not honestly believe what she is saying. You don't get to sue people for their opinions.

Very true cbg...but if she is telling everyone else in the office?

She is entitled to provide her opinion to anyone she wants to. I'm not saying it's not unprofessional - it is. If it were me, I'd be firing the manager. But that doesn't provide for a defamation claim - an opinion is an opinion no matter who it is expressed to.

Another question for cbg...I understand that opinions are "entitled" but as a manager isn't employee information confidential such as filing a complaint with HR against an employee?

To Tight_Spot: What state are you posting from?

Surprisingly enough, no. The only information an employer is required by law to keep confidential is certain medical information, and even then only in some circumstances.

As I said, I am not defending the manager. Were she working for me, she'd be fired. But she has not violated any laws, even though she has violated good taste, professionalism, and probably company policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back