Lawn Company finance charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbracy

Last summer, I had a lawn company cutting our grass. I lost my job and fell behind in payments, and still owe them money. I have been making monthly payments, however, they are applying a portion of them to finance charges, but I never signed a contract, or anything agreeing to finance charges at the time I asked them to begin cutting my grass. My question is, is it legal for them to impose finance charges?

You are saying the agreement was only verbal and there is nothing in writing any where as to the terms of the agreement or only that the terms don't state finance charges?

Hello. The agreement was strictly verbal and there was nothing in writing about terms, finance charges or anything at all for that matter. I just called one day for lawn services, and they began showing up every two weeks to cut the grass. There was never anything signed; no contracts; and never any mention of finance charges, prior to them starting to cut our grass. The only thing I ever got from them was an invoice every month showing what I owed for services rendered.

Last edited:
The statement states finance charges? Or does it state late fees, interest? I guess they believe they are financing your non-payment for services as they have to pay their employees whether you pay or not. Maybe they had to take out a loan to pay the employees and so now you are paying the interest they have to pay. Just a thought. What rate are they charging? How far behind did you get? If they took you to court for non-payment they probably would be allowed to claim a late fee or interest of some kind because like I said they still had to pay the employee regardless if you paid or not. What state are you in? You can google verbal contract law for your state and see what that states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back