Child Support - What are my rights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMCB13

I have a complex problem regarding child support. First off I missed the default hearing and the Plaintiff (My X-wife) got everything!!! I had a lawyer represent me, however He bailed out. the default judgment was based upon inaccurate finical information and the Family court in not awear that I was sending voluntary child support payments. In addition, the family court has turned down several motions I submitted? Also the department of Social Services is garnishing my wages as well. This was based upon the default judgment.

Questions:
1. How do I overturn the default judgment
2. How do I stop the DSS from garnishing my wages.
3 How can I obtain copies of the records from the Hearing Examiner's files? Not the transcripts

How does this "show order cause" work? What do I need to do?
Can this work with the Department of Social Services?

After the default hearing the court ordered a figure for child support and spousal support. This was based upon incorrect finical information.

The court attached an arrears of 15K as well. A new lawyer I had requested that the county show where this arears was derived. The hearing examiner stated that she would not put the county under a time frame to show cause.

The recent problem is that the DSS [department of social services] is taking money out of my check via the child emforcement.

I called the child enforcement about this anf they said talk to DSS. Which now DSS wont talk to me unless I have permissino from the X. I know she was double dipping, collecting from me and DSS too!

Si here I sit with child suppoprt taking extra money from me. What can I do?

How do you know she was double dipping? I have found little gets accomplished by phone and much by creating a paper trail which puts everyone on notice of the issues. I frequently send correspondence certied return receipt and, when necessary, refer to any oral conversations within.

She has stated that she received two payments from DSS. This was during a family court hearing. Yet the DSS through the child support collection is collecting $50 per month. Now I have written th the DSS and called them and they won't divulge any information without the X-wifes' permission.

Is this where I can request a show cause order, and how do start a show cause order?

can I submit this information subpoena, or do I need a lawyer to do this? If I can submit it myself, is there a guide I can use to complete and submit?

Last edited:
Originally posted by NMCB13:
can I submit this information subpoena, or do I need a lawyer to do this? If I can submit it myself, is there a guide I can use to complete and submit?
In this instance you might be able to request it from the other party with a motion made in the ongoing case. With regard to information subpoenas being sent to third parties, I have seen pro se litigants send information subpoenas that were signed by someone in the court and usually costs $1 or $2 per subpoena from what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back