Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Being charged with felony - theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonaids

Quick run down:

I'm 18, live in FL, upper-middle class family, never done anything wrong. No previous record, not even any speeding tickets.

A few weeks ago I stole a $400 piece of equipment from the store I worked at with the help of my fellow coworker. My coworker wanted to take it and sell it. I didn't plan to profit from this at all, but helped him anyways by letting him use my car.

Anyways, we get caught a couple of weeks after that, not on camera, but by cooperating with the manager and Loss Prevention. My coworker brought back the item and we were both docked on our pay check for other things we may have taken.

I thought this had all blown over, but yesterday a cop came to my house, read me my rights, charged me, and took a statement. He sent that to the DA and I am awaiting a court date now.

A little background on my coworker:
22 years old
Charged, but never convicted, with 3 felonies
Numerous driving violations
Got out of prison 30 days prior and is facing 24yrs to life for some crime I don't know about.

My question is,
From any of your legal experiences, how will this turn out? I know it depends on the judge, and many other things, but in general, will I get hammered or let off easy? I know what I did was wrong, I apologized and even returned the big ticket item that they were upset about. Will they really convict an 18 yr old male, with no previous record, with a felony and throw me in prison?

Btw, my coworker is not complying with the police and is quite possibly running from them at this point because he is on probation and will go back to jail regardless of whether he is convicted or not.

Hopefully this will just look like a case of peer pressure gone wrong to the judge, but I don't know.

What are you exaclty being charged with? Do you have an attorney or public defender?
By the way your friend sounds like a total loser and you stop associating with him.

What are you exaclty being charged with? Do you have an attorney or public defender?
By the way your friend sounds like a total loser and you stop associating with him.

I am being charged with a felony/third-degree felony, I believe.
My parents refuse to pay for a lawyer so I will have to get free legal aid.
I met the kid through work and I don't talk to him anymore.

I am being charged with a felony/third-degree felony, I believe.
My parents refuse to pay for a lawyer so I will have to get free legal aid.
I met the kid through work and I don't talk to him anymore.

What are the statute numbers?

What are the statute numbers?

I'm not familiar with what a statute number is, but the Police Department did give me a Case #. I was going to swing by there tomorrow to get copies on everything about the case, if that is possible.

Also, how would I go about getting a public defender? I read the court has to appoint one for me after I fill out the necessary financial papers, but can't I call up a public defender, ask him to represent me, and have him talk to the judge/court?

From your guys' experiences, what will the outcome be?

I know the outcome depends on a lot of things, but given the circumstances, what is likely to happen to me?

I am 18, white, male, no record, good family. I did it on a whim without thinking and was pressured into it by my coworker. He has a large criminal background and the cops can't even get in touch with him at the moment.

When you go to court you plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. Afterwards, go to the court clerk and ask for the paperwork for requesting a public defender, taking with you a recent pay stub or W2 or tax ireturn you filed in April of this year. You can try and call the court clerk and ask if you may request one before your court date but I don't know if they allow that or not. The court appointed lawyers, I believe, (someone please correct me if I am wrong), are like in a pool and when there number comes up that's who you get. That's why you can't just call one up, you have to wait until the court appoints you one. You can google your state laws on felony charges and it will tell you the minimum and maximum penalties but I think that will just freak you out so I don't recommend it. The judge has some discretion so it's hard to say what an indiviual judge will do. Will the store say you cooperated fully, do you any character witnesses that will come to court on your behalf (if that is allowed) are you working now, and did you pay back all you owe to the store? You want to make sure you have done everything you can do and that you look good to the court by dressing well, speaking well (yes sir/maam'), and are contrite and changing your life for the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back