is spouse liable for deceased husbands debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldnavy

I want to know if I am liable for my deceased husbands debt. goingthrough divorce in 04/05 he kept the van, house, debit card,and all my things except for some garbage bags full of clothes and kicked me out. it was stated in the court records he was in possession of/and responsible for the van. he never paid for anything and now they are after me for the debt. he had it after kicking me out for over a year without paying a single penny. but it is on my credit!!! what can I do?

What state are you posting from?

Arkansas, divorce was started in Nevada, after kicked out I moved to Arkansas, then he moved to kentucky and died there.

Dispute the debts with the credit reporting companies and file a complaint with http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcrajump.shtm against the companies who are harrassing you.

Was the van in his name or both? House? Did you have any other debts that were in both your names, credit cards etc...

the Van was in both, But! the court said it remained in his possession and I had no control or knowledge of the payments not being paid. house was sold in his name only. no other credit cards or debts.

If the van was in both your names and your name never was removed then you have a problem. You can send the credit agency copies of the court divorce degree giving him possession, but the debt will remain on your record until paid. If your name was on nothing else then they should not be harrassing you and you should file a complaint at the link previously posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back