My 17 year old runaway son

Status
Not open for further replies.

wright311

My 17 year old son ran away from home & is now living with his 18 year girlfriend. He will be 18 in mid January so the police wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it. They recorded him as a run away but said that they couldn't do anything even if they did find him and he would just run away again. My son does call and he has come over to "visit" but neither me nor his dad can convince him to come back home. Now he wants me to write a letter to his girlfriend's landlord (who happens to be a cop, according to them) stating that I know he's there and I'm okay with it. The way it was explained to me was they need this letter because he is a minor and if anything happened (my son damaged anything or failed to pay rent) he would be responsible, not me. That just doesn't make since to me, HE IS A MINOR, therefore I'm still responsible for what he does and if I sign a letter stating I'm okay with him living there isn't that like me saying I take responsibility for what he does/or doesn't do there? Also, he can legally get auto insurance without someone of legal age on the policy? I won't give him his truck unless he shows proof of insurance but I don't think he legally can.

Not true. Unless he is legally emancipated you are responsible. I would not write the letter. Let your son know that you will not support him running away and you will not cooperate with such an absurd request.

I would not give him the truck either. If your name is on it you can legally keep it.

That's just it, the truck is in my son's name. So far I've convinced him he can't have it until he shows proof of insurance but since it is in his name does he have a right to it since he's not living at home and he is a minor or can I refuse to give it to him, even if he does show proof of insurance? I don't know what my legal rights or responsibilities are at this point with him.

What state are you in? Laws in these matters vary by state. If the police say they cannot bring him back home, then there are only three states I can think of that have that loophole (or used to). Even in those states, the 18-year-old should still be able to be brought up on contributing to the delinquency of a minor charges ... but, laws do vary.

- Carl

In Michigan if a kid is 17 he or she is considered a adult and you can't kick him out but he can leave on his own.Also if he gets in trouble with the law he goes to jail and you pay for any damages.That sucks because my 17 year old is destroying my house and I take care of her 3 year old son.So much for our rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back