Personal Bankruptcy bigamist husband commits suicide left debts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace2252

My husband and I married in 2001 and this year committed suicide. I have since learned that he never divorced his first wife which makes our marriage not legal. Last year I learned he had not filed income tax returns since 2000 and he owed a large amount of money. On the advice of a CPA I agreed to amend my tax returns for 3 years and last year filed a return with him. I did this because when I asked if my home, (which was in my son and my name only), could be at risk for a tax lien the CPA told us that the IRS could not do that because the house was in my sons name. Well needless to say a tax lien was placed on the home.

I need to know if there is anything I can do to be relieved of the tax debt since the only reason I amended my returns was because I believed we were legally married.

Or, if I file bankruptcy can I be relieved of the tax debts. He has left me in automobile, credit card and tax debts. I am not working but collecting enough unemployment to make the payment on my home. I have 2 second mortages as well. Can those be included in the bankruptcy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back