Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication open container--pedestrian, over 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreacomet

I was on my way to a concert on a university of california campus last weekend, and was drinking a beer, because I am a poor grad student and it pained me to pay for a beer inside the venue. It didn't occur to me to worry about open container, because before football games, there are always thousands of people drinking publically on campus. This time, though, one of the cops stationed outside the venue came over and pulled me aside. I immediately handed over the bottle. He asked if I was 21, I said yes and showed him my ID. He proceeded to write me up for open container (BP 25620), an infraction, not a misdemeanor, and told me it was basically a traffic ticket (equivalent of jaywalking), it would not go on my record, and I would get a courtesy notice in the mail telling me what I had to pay.

My question is this: can I choose to go to court and beg for mercy, as a first-time violator? I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record, let alone any alcohol violations. Is there any chance of getting the fine lowered (or changed to community service) by doing this?

Most fines are fixed pursuant to local court rules. The total fine will be based upon the local ordinance that has established this as an infraction. As an infraction, it will not go on your criminal record, though a record of the citation will exist with the police and with the court - not with the state.

I would not expect the penalty to exceed $100, but you never know.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back