Bad Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadLandlord

So This is a long one, but We have a ton going on.

My best guy friend and I decided to rent a house together. We got this huge house in a wonderful neighborhood with AWFUL property managers. They don't follow the law in any way shape or form and generally I am starting to get angry.

Our house is 2 levels. The Top level which was a total addition is all crooked. The walls have huge beams poking through and the floor is actually slanted. Not to mention there are 2 sets of french doors that open to nothing. So if my roomie were to accidentaly open one in a drunken stupor, he could fall to his death. I know that is definitly not up to housing code.

When we signed the lease we has some requests. The house has been sitting vacant from Jun 06 until our contract of MArch 07. The peoperty managers didn't Winterize the house! Nor did they clean it. There were stains all over the carpet, EVERYTHING was covered in dust, bugs and grease. There was a huge oil barrel outside filled with water, a "shed" made out of cinder blocks and a truck top, an old air conditioning unit stripped for copper and still attached to the house and a ton of other random junk. Some of the room walls were painted orange, purple and pink, like crayons! It was just a mess. When we had the electricity turned back on in our 40 degree house some of the pipes had burst! None of the heaters worked and the oil tank/furnace were clogged and full of debris. We took care of all of these issues because we were in between a rock and a hard place for a place to live. Eventually the property managers re-imbursed us for SOME of the costs, but not all. They don't want to pay it now because they said it was our fault that the oil tank and furnace were full of debris... yeah, ok!

This is other main problem. EVERY single property manager that works at the company has a criminal record. Most of the charges come from entering properties without permission... The guy who comes in and does all of our "maintenance" is super great, but has a few chrages of tresspassing on his record. Recently we got a letter claiming that "we have more then 2 people living there." We don't, we have guests that stay frequently, but do not exceed the limit of 15 consecutive days. I would like to know how they could prove such hogwash. Can they go through the mail? Or videotape our door or something? I don't understand how they can make a claim like that.

I guess the advice i need is there anything i can do? Our house isn't up to Maryland code, our property managers wont re-imburse us for costs associated with getting the heater cleaned, i'm pretty sure they are coming into the house when we are not home. We are great tenants. We planted a garden in the dront yard, painted extra rooms in the house so they were tolerable and take incredibly great care of the house. I am looking at this as my first home and want to treat it nicely. I just feel like I am being taken advantage of and i really don't deserve it.

Any advice?:rolleyes:

http://www.peoples-law.org/housing/ltenant/llt.html Here are the landlord tenant laws for your state. You can file a complaint or take the landlord to samll claims court for monies they owe for work you have done that should have been their responsibility but you have to prove it was their responsibility - keep all receipts and check your lease to see what is required of them and you before filing a complaint or sueing. However, be aware any action you take will make the management company angry towards you and they'll likely look for any reason to get you out. Looks like they are already doing that if they are acusing you of violating the lease by too many people living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back