Wrong date on speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzxplicit

I received a ticket on May 29th around 3:50 PM saying that I was speeding at 91mph on the freeway in a 65mph. First of all it was impossible that I was going 91 because I was in a two-lane freeway with other cars in front of me, but I realize that that is something that may be difficult to actually prove. The officer ignored my questions several times and on the Speed section, the 91 also looks like a 71 because he had rewritten one number over another. I can barely read the entire ticket as the carbon copy barely copied it at all. This may be irrelevant but it just adds to how confusing and disorganized the officer was with the whole situation.

In any case, the officer wrote the wrong date on the ticket, stating that it was May 25th. he wrote this twice, once next to his Citing Officer name and once under the Date of Violation, and he wrote the time as 3:47 PM.

I was considering contesting the ticket by written declaration, so would it work if I contested it based on the date and time of the ticket (for which I have an alibi for because I was at work at that time on May 25th) or would the wrong date not matter? Would it be better to contest the ticket with other reasons as to why I was not going 91mph?

The date is unimportant.

I suppose it depends on where you are. Out here, the incorrect date written consistently on the document might make the citation insufficient on its face to support a citation for speeding on the 29th. I honestly don't know how much mileage you'd get out of a TBD that way, but it MIGHT work.

However, if you have only that defense, cross your fingers and keep your checkbook nearby.

An attorney might be able to make the case for such a dismissal better than you can, so it might be worth it to consult one if you absolutely canno have this cite on your record.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back