Personal Bankruptcy Changes in Income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulu70

Hi, I am about 6 months away from finishing my chapter 13 payments. Monday the 14th my mother passed away. At the time of filing, because I lived with her; her SS checks were taken in consideration and they split everything 50-50. Seems fair, but even though I have had a tough time paying I have made every payment and on time. But now shes gone I dont have that income, I have to pay for a funeral, burial, another lawyer, then assessments for the house,,etc...and ive been out of work for about 3 weeks, because she was in the hospital first. I am really freaking out on how I am going to pay for all this, and now her cerdit cards are calling saying I am responsible because she had me on there, but that was only because she couldnt shop for herself. I have no problem in paying any of this but I need more time. I have nothing in the bank cause they would only take cash to bury her and that was 1800. (not including the funeral bill.) it wiped me out. And her bank account too. Is there any help out there for me? I have left messages for my bankruptcy lawyer and i guess he is to busy. I am ready to lose it! someone please give me something to hang onto here!! Thanks in advance

Sorry Lulu, I know nothing about bankruptcy, but keep trying to reach the lawyer and send him, by certified mail, all the details of what is happening with you..the credit card bills, your mother's death certificate, and any other relevant docs. Copies only, keep originals for yourself and copy of letter you send to lawyer. Can you have garage/estate sale or do you have to probate your mother's estate? A garage sale would just give you some quick, immediate cash to at least buy groceries and neccessary items.

thank you for the reply, i sent the lawyer a certified letter.
My nephew decided to move in with me to help me for a few months, still gonna be a struggle. but as long as i dont lose my house ill be ok. i can afford not to eat for a while..lol.
Mama raised me right, and how to get out of a tough situation i just have to get my head together.
Thanks again

That is so good to have such a great attitude during this difficult time. Check with your utilities company and see if they have a program that helps pay one month's bills and explain your situation. I know friends have used it here where I live in Texas, but don't know (of course) if your utilities company offers a hardship thing like that. Also, some mortage companies will let you skip one payment a year but you must request it and get it approved by them. I think they add it at end of year or something so DON'T DO IT WITHOUT TALKING TO MORTAGE COMPANY FIRST! You don't want to make things worse for yourself. But these options, if available, might give you some breathing room AND allow you to eat : )

okay, I still havent heard anything from my lawyer and i have called every other day, i guess i should send another certified letter? my nephew isnt staying with me and a had a mini breakdown so i am out of work. i cant wait for this bankruptcy to be over so i can give this lawyer a piece of my mind, if i ever get ahold of him.
Any other suggestions as to what i can do to get someone to listen to me?
maybe i should have been a scammer and liar my whole life then i wouldnt be hurting now. it doesnt pay to be a honest person these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back