Harassment Complaint – Advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimits7

Hello,

I need some legal advice about a recent breakup I had with my girlfriend. I'll explain the current situation below.

The other day I received a phone call from her town's police department telling me that my ex-gf filed a harassment complaint on me; which really annoyed me after being with her for 3 years. Anyway, the officer said that this report doesn't go on my record but she just wanted to document what has been going on.

I picked up the report and it said that she feels that I'm following her around because I keep running into her and she thinks it's more than coincidence; which is not true. I told the officer that I hang out at the same places she does on the weekends, but when I see her at a bar/lounge with her friends I don't talk to her I just ignore her.

She lives in the next town over from me and some of the other places I've been running into her are like the car wash, supermarket, and cvs. The thing that annoys me is all these places she goes to are in my town. For example, the car wash place is right around the block from my house. I told the officer why does she have to come to my town; I'm sure there is a car wash, supermarket, and cvs in her town. I can see her case if I was in her town at all these places, then she would have something to say because why would I go there when I can just go to these places in my town. So the report doesn't mention that all these places are in my town.

The report also said that she declined to have a restraining order at this time. It also said that she doesn't feel threatened by me at this moment, but wants everything documented because she doesn't know about the future; I think she has lost her mind.

The only time I talked to her recently was when I saw her at the supermarket when she is not with her friends. We talked in a very joking manner and I never got nasty or screamed at her; so it is disappointing to receive this phone call the next day from the officer. I did tell her that I still care for her and I still think about her sometimes, but that is the extent of it.

So in the report she stated that I keep telling her I love her when I run into her sometimes and she has told me that it's over and doesn't want to be with me. She stated that she doesn't know what I will do to her because I love her so much; which is ridiculous. She has started talking to some other guy, which is fine since we're not going out, but idiot me sometimes when I run into her like in the supermarket I tell her I still care about her. But now that she has this complaint on me I will never talk to her again; I didn't know she would ever do something like this to me.

The report also said that I gained access to her email passwords and was checking them. I told the officer this was true when I was going out with her she told me her passwords, and this is how I found out towards the end of our relationship that she cheated on me. That however is a whole different story; I know why would I want to get back with her after she did that I guess I was just hurt/stupid but never again.

Anyway now that we broke up she changed her passwords so I don't have access to her emails anymore, but the report doesn't document that she gave me her passwords I didn't hack into her computer to find them out.

Basically, that is what the report says so now I don't know what I can do; can I add to this report or get a complaint on her?? I guess I would like to have documented that these places are in my town and that she gave me her passwords I didn't steal them.

My friend made a good point if she's crazy to have a complaint written on me, what's to say next time I see her out at a bar she says that I did something to her and calls the cops on me. Then she will already have something documented on me, and I can get in trouble.

But I also wonder if I get a complaint on her is it just going to add more fuel to the fire and make her get a restraining order on me. I don't want this to get out of control but I also want to protect myself, too. I don't want anything to go on my record for her crazy thoughts on what's happening.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

olimits7

Ask the officer who called or someone in that office if you can respond to the complaint. If yes, then unemotionally state that she lives in another town and comes to this town to do all the things you stated in post. Add that the car wash she uses is around the corner from your house (which is really interesting), and that while you were together you shared the email but she has since changed the password and you do not attempt to access her account as you now have one of your own. Don't over explain and don't even touch the "I still love you" issue. You are right not to speak to her again and if she approaches you walk in the other direction and out the door. Sounds like she is stalking you to me...did you leave her after her cheating on you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back