Insurance Broker Negligence and Forgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattiep42

State of South Carolina

My Insurance policy for my Cavalier was to be renewed on March 5, 2007. I contacted my Insurance broker because I recieved a quote from Geico that was far less then what I was schedualed to pay at my renewal. I asked for a more competitive quote for my next six month term on my Cavalier. They wrote up a new policy that was competitive and told me to mail in my first months premium and I could expect to recieve my coupons in the mail along with my policy information with the new insurance provider like I had been. I allowed my old policy to lapse. On May 13, I was pulled over for speeding and didn't have my insurance info in my car, and it occurred to me then that I had never recieved that info from my new insurance provider. I told the police that I would call my company and send it to them in the mail along with my ticket. When I got home I coincidentally had recieved a letter from my new insurance provider that said that my policy was terminated due to non payment. I also noticed that the policy that was terminated had been insuring a vehicle that I no longer had (Honda Accord), and my statements were sent to an old address attached to that file, thus my coupons and policy information was sent back to the provider and finance company. I called the finance company to verify the incorrect address the coupons were sent to and discovered that the broker had forged my signature on the finance agreement. Had the broker done thier job correctly I would have been able to verify the policies accuracy with my signature. The reason I am requesting advise is because the negligence on the brokers part as well as forgeing my signature could have been detrimental above and beyond the possibilties of me recieving a fine or losing my licencse when I show the judge that I was without insurance at the time of being pulled over. I am actually glad I was pulled over because the consequences of being in an accident could have been far worse. Can anyone help me in regards to this case? Is this worthy of a lawsuit and how should I proceed?

Since you suffered no damage, you have no case.

BUT I would report that joker to the bureaucrats who regulate insurance carriers in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back