Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication what was i thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashstorey

The 18 of april my boyfriend and myself got pulled over by the police (1 male and 1female) in front of his house. we had crack in the car and fearing they would find it i tried to hide it. the male officer saw me and directed the matter to the female officer who proceded to search me right there in the street. she found the drugs on me and asked who they belonged to and having NEVER EVER BEEN IN TROUBLE BEFORE not even a minor traffic ticket i was soo scared and i said they were mine. i thought i would get in more trouble if i denied it or said it was my boyfriends since they found the drugs in my pocket. they took me down to jail which i got released on a $2,000 bond. my court date is may 23 and im soo nervous about probably going to. what makes it worse my uncle is a lawyer who defends the police when ther in trouble and works in city hall. in the end my charge is posession of a controlled substance under a gram. does this qualify for hard jail time or maybe a couple years probabtion?? I NEED SOME ADVICE FAST!!

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

"Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a 'vibrate' position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings."

(Better yet, don't carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)"

Here are seven stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I've been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I've got a job/military posting in [name a place five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn't stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You've got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: "It wasn't me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off." Or, another variation: "I was forced into it by a bad guy!")

6. I was influenced by a bad crowd.

7. I/my kid/my whatever has surgery scheduled.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender's advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

You need an attorney big time. You should be appointed a public defender.

You didn't say what state you're in or how old you are.

Texas has a drug court where you may qualify for deferred adjudication. It is a very lengthy and time consuming process but better than serving jail time. Your arrest will show after you complete the program but you won't be considered "convicted' per se' Hopefully you''ll have a good lawyer who can advise you properly. You need one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back