When Custody Is Used To Manipulate Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

neongreenjade

Let me put this as simply as I can;

10 years ago I left my husband in NJ and moved to Virginia with our then almost 2 year old son. Never moved back to NJ and have lived in the state of Virginia all this time. Son's father never had alot to do with son, no calls on birthdays, Christmas, never came to see him in Virginia and every trip to NJ was provided by myself. Tried to maintain contact with Grandparents as best possible.

For 10 years I filled out paperwork at Child Support Enforcement every year. Submitted the exact same information for 10 years about the whereabouts of his father along with his fathers SS#, place of employment, place of residence, and even gave them current addresses for his next of kin. The information never changed in 10 years. His Federal Gov't job never changed in 10 years. This year I decided I was not filling out the form but wrote the state of NJ and asked them WHY CAN YOU NOT FIND HIM???? PLEASE EXPLAIN?
Started a little FIRE you could say. Well, needless to say, Son's father was not and is not a happy camper. But needless to say the joke was on me anyway, because I was told at this point that my son's father had been granted custody of him in February of 1999. NO ONE TOLD ME!. We really won't begin to get into the reasoning of how and why a family court judge would give custody of a child to a parent who is not even in possession of that child. At this date my son and I were already living in Virginia. AT NO POINT IN TIME, did his father ever claim custody of him. So I guess you are wondering why he did not want custody. Well with Mr. Stevenson, it's a money thing. As long as he had that piece of paper saying he had custody, he did not pay child support. He never wanted his son and he certainly did not want to take care of him. In 10 years he never asked for any type of custody whatsoever and never asked to help with anything JT needed.

So basically, now that the Child Support Enforcement has caught upo with him, of course, he wants custody.

We live in Virginia and he lives in NJ. Jt is a integral part of our world and we by no means intend on handing him over to anyone. Much less a "father" who only wants him to avoid paying me child support..

What does the law say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back