Failed Polygraph, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmk101

Ok so here is my dilemma….

I was recently offered employment with a particular government law enforcement agency. However, I have to pass a polygraph. I took the polygraph a week ago and just received a phone call saying I failed on the question, "did you deliberately withhold information asked of you on your application?"

Here is the problem: I didn't withhold of required information at all. HOWEVER, when I was 16 I was locked up in one big misunderstanding (around the wrong people at the wrong time). A judge said that everything was expunged and that I did not have to disclose of this event to anyone for any reason, basically to live my life as if It didn't happen. Now for this reason I wasn't even thinking about this event while taking the polygraph. After all, it is not a requirement for my application. There were not any questions that asked "Were you ever arrested and told that you did not have to disclose of the arrest?", (I have had applications that specifically ask that question) but, not on this app.

I called the investigator and filled her in on this and she told me that i will receive a letter from HQ that will have a contact person whom I can ask to take the polygraph over again. I am suspicious about how this all went down. I believe that the polygraph result would not show any deception and they had information of the event and were trying to trick me into disclosing the information.

I feel this is unlawful for several reasons:
1. I was a juvenile
2. I was told that I did not have to disclose of the information for any reason
3. They should not have any record of this event
4. This event should not have any bearing on whether or not I am offered a job or not

I'm not sure if I am right about all of this or if I was just told wrong information by a judge. Furthermore, I was wondering if I should seek legal advice in preparing a statement when I receive the letter from HQ?

The worst part about this is that I am in grad school working toward my masters (MPIA) in security and intelligence studies. There isn't much opportunity for people like me in the private sector. So, I will have to get a security clearance one day. Failing a polygraph for this agency could mean I will NEVER receive a security clearance EVER (This might give away the agency I'm talking about). So, there goes $100,000 in student loans… any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back