Urgent! Need Help With Huge Fraud Case! Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpwithfraud

Thank God I came across this website! First, thank you for having a site like this where we can ask for free advice from law professionals. I hope one of you can help me with my case as having a lawyer is going to cost me thousands of dollars! I have been sick to my stomach with bleeding ulcers and barely any sleep (enough to keep walking) since March 21st when I was shocked to find out my live-in partner (now former) and daughter's father has been defrauding us for months!!!

Here is my situation, I do appreciate your patience in reading what transpired:

I met my former live-in partner (we called each other "spouse" but we are not married in the courts) in January of 2005. We did not start dating until May of 2005. We moved in together in July of 2005 and we got pregant with my only child in November. We had our daughter in July of 2006. I thought I had met "the one," obviously causing me to be head-over-heels for him, hence the fast pace of our engagement. In any case, if someone were to ask me "Are you happy?" 3 weeks ago, I would have easily answered: "I couldn't be happier, I have a wonderful man by my side who works hard and makes good money, a beautiful daughter now 9 months, nice clothes, food, and a nice townhome to live in, etc." Life was just dandy if you will. However, March 21st, completely changed my life over night!!!

On Tuesday, March 20th the bank where I have my auto loan sent out a letter asking for "more recent proof of insurance." I thought nothing of it really except why didn't my partner take care of it since he takes care of EVERYTHING and doesn't let things usually slide or delay. I never even check the mail in our home. He always did as that is what he would do when coming home from work as his routine, plus he took care of all the bills (supposidly). I checked the mail that day only because I was so eager to receive a dress that I had bought on-line for my daughter to wear for Easter! I mentioned the letter to my partner when he got home from work and for the first time ever, he started to get a little attitude with me when I demanded he take care of it so we didn't get "into trouble" with the bank. I had been a stay-at-home mother this whole time and naive about everything. Stupid me! He kept giving me excuses and told me just to "forget about it" and "stop worrying" and that he would take care of it. I told him to please take care of it first thing the next day. H then became combative, so I dropped it. But, was still taken back and surprised by his behavior. He started to yell so of course I shut up about the letter and the night went on like any other family weeknight.

The next morning I mentioned the trip to the bank to my partner again like "honey please don't forget to go to the bank to get it done and show the proof they are asking for." He said "enough already and to just leave him alone!" I was getting real upset as to why he was so adamit about me staying "out of it," so I took it upon myself to go to the bank to inquire about the letter and find out what was going on with my auto loan.

So, that morning (March 21st) I went to the bank myself to talk to a bank rep about this letter that got sent. While I was there talking about the auto loan which was in good standing, the bank representative happened to mention that I owed a payment on a credit card! I was like "what credit card?!" I didn't recall ever applying for a credit card at this bank where my auto loan was. Then, she remind me that I had applied for the credit card when I signed on for my auto loan on the same day as I had good credit (690 score) and "instantly qualified." So, then I did remember oh yeah I did get the credit card, but I remember the feeling of not ever needing it as I never had a credit card before, but I remember my partner telling me at the bank while I was doing my auto loan that it would "build my credit, etc. " spurting off all sorts of benefits for this 12K credit limit.

So, although I had applied for the credit card, I had never received it! I had been otherwise distracted with the birth of my daughter, and the credit card was no longer in the forefront of my memory. I was surprised that there could be anything owed on a credit card I had never received or activated. I immediately asked to speak to the bank manager.

The bank manager then told me that there was "suspect fraud activity" on the card in my name (which I had never seen or activated) and then investigated my account
further. The bank had attempted to contact me regarding this suspicious activity,
but the phone numbers listed for contact was not my own phone numbers, but
my partner's cell phone.

That day, I filled out an affidavit of forgery at the bank, then filed a police
report with the local Police Department, and complaints with the Social
Security Administration and all 3 major credit bureaus as the card was over 12K maxed out!

As a result of the Branch Manager's investigation, I discovered there was a $1,500 check
(made payable to me) from a car dealership that my partner worked at. This check had been endorsed in my name, but the endorsement was a forgery. I had never seen the check. A copy of the check (front and back) was provided by the bank and was presented to the General Manager of the dealership but he was claiming "he didn't want to get involved in a domestic issue." I discovered later this was a reimbursement for
service on my SUV (registered in my name). There was also another check in my name also forged for $22,000! This money came from a 401K that was cashed out (lum sum).

On that day, I also learned that the credit card had several transactions from the car dealership where he worked. The card in fact was activiated by a first purchase at the hands of the car dealership in the amount of $1,000 then another for $7,000 then again for $1,500, totaling $9,500 of random unauthorized transactions. I had no
knowledge whatsoever about this credit card nor the continuous fraud
transactions before revealed to me during my March 21st visit to the bank. I was not aware of the $1,500/$22,000 checks issued to me nor the $9,500 fraud transactions on the bank credit card.

On Thursday, March 22nd, I was asked to stop by the bank to provide the police file
# to the BM. While I was there, she shared more information about the
fraudulent activity on my accounts that she investigated further after I left
the day before. She checked the bank surveillance videotape of the check being
deposited and the bank staff had recognized the person as my partner who had presented the check. That day, I also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

As a result of my investigation, I have a rudimentary understanding of how the
money from my 2 checks were frauduletly received and used, how my
Credit Card was frauduletly acquired and used by the dealership and how a
fraudulent auto loan was opened in my name by him:

a. We lived together from July 2005 until March 2007. We have a 9 month old daughter together. He exclusively checked and brought in the mail to our home. In about November 2006, I applied for an auto loan. He went with me when I took out my auto loan. As part of the car loan application process, I was also offered a credit card. After
that, the credit card (I am not sure when) was mailed to our home address. He intercepted the card, activated it at the dealersip with the $1,000 transaction and began to use it from there.

b. On January 1st, He applied for an auto laon for our other car in my name. Clearly, the hand writing on the application is not mine and nor is the signiture (filed forgery on signiture and fraud on application at bank). Phone number listed on application is once again his. He used my previous employer information and previous income to qualify for the loan even though I had resigned from my position months earlier in June for maternity leave and finally completely resigning on October 1 to be a full-time homemaker.

c. Some time later I received a check from the dealership on January 24th that
he again intercepted and deposited inti the credit card.

Since making these reports, I have also obtained his criminal record. He has multiple convictions including felony theft in the 1st degree, which involved defrauding his former employer as well as felony assault and 2 other misdemeaner assualts involving dv.

I obtained a one year Order of Protection on April 9 in hopes of keeping him away from us, and preventing him from defrauding me further.

My questions are:

1) The PD has NOT arrested him for theft, forgery and/or fraud! They said it is a "closed" case and that it is a "civil" matter, which is a BUNCH of BULL if you tell me cause he cleaned us out as he is a professional con artist and has been working with banks as a finance manager for over 15 years at a car dealership! He, I guess, made a police statement to "answer" to my claim and he of course lied about everything and I can only assume they believed him rather than persuing a criminal case against him. So, WHAT can I do to get the police involved more and to re-open the case?

2) He does not own any property and only works at a high-paying job. Everything else is in my name: our apartment lease, now 2 cars, all the fraud credit cards, etc. How can I get my money back since we are not talking now?

3) How in the world do I get my 401K money back for 22K when he fradulently cashed it out by stealing my mail where he filled out that option after I resigned. I already filed an affidavit, but the bank is taking SO long to investigate!!!

4) What can I do, in gerenal, to get this money back. What steps are worth it and what are not worth the emotional stress.

5) And, finally my partner claims he has a severe "gambling" problem, that I was blind-sided by, and that is his excuse to everyone, including the police as to why he used what he is claiming "our money." He lied to the PD and told them that I also knew about the gambling, that I allowed him to cash out my 401K, that I wanted all those credit cards, etc. etc. Lie on top of lie on top of lie. What can I do to get this back.

I thought about protesting in front of the dealership. Is that a good idea to try ot bring media attention on him and his place of employment? Please help!!!

If the bad guy has no money or other assets, then nothing you do will get your money back.

I'm really sorry to hear all of this. Can you somehow use your daughter against him? Does he even see her or want to see her? I'm sure your not the 1st victim, maybe you can find the others and get something going.

Two words, child support. If he has a good job hit him hard! Tell the court your story,maybe you'll get money before he has a chance to gamble it away.

I would definitely do some research and follow through with your new knowledge. You can always attach his wages (at the very least for child support)! You have more options available to you, you will have to be patient and don't do anything in anger...this will definitely skew your final goal. I am sure you have more than enough information to have him arrested for fraud but you will then have to weigh your options...incarcerated will not gain you anything monetary - and simply put...I am shocked that he has not been fired at his place of employment due to fraud...find out if his employer had any knowledge of his fraudulent activity...who knows...you may have more than one avenue in which to recoup the funds. You do not list the state where you reside...and whatever research is available to you, make sure it is state specific. Although I would guess if your bank is involved it would become a Federal matter that fully outweighs any state law. Hope all works out for you and the little one.

I would definitely do some research and follow through with your new knowledge. You can always attach his wages (at the very least for child support)! You have more options available to you, you will have to be patient and don't do anything in anger...this will definitely skew your final goal. I am sure you have more than enough information to have him arrested for fraud but you will then have to weigh your options...incarcerated will not gain you anything monetary - and simply put...I am shocked that he has not been fired at his place of employment due to fraud...find out if his employer had any knowledge of his fraudulent activity...who knows...you may have more than one avenue in which to recoup the funds. You do not list the state where you reside...and whatever research is available to you, make sure it is state specific. Although I would guess if your bank is involved it would become a Federal matter that fully outweighs any state law. Hope all works out for you and the little one.

Please stop responding to year-old plus threads.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back