16 yr Daughter Pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.

katenice

My 16 yr old daughter is pregnant by a 21 year old (Illinois). She is now staying with him at least 3 days a week against my wishes. He has no job and no means of support. I'm am providing prenatal care. I want to know what my rights and responisblities are. Should I get a lawyer? Am I responsible for providing for the baby? What happens to him if he puts his name on the birth certificate and they see that he is 21?

What would you want a lawyer for?

I don't know. What are my financial obligations? Am I responsible for the baby? What if they decide to live together before she's 18 do I still have to support her and the baby?

I don't know. What are my financial obligations? Am I responsible for the baby? What if they decide to live together before she's 18 do I still have to support her and the baby?

I suspect you may be asked by the new momma to support the child. Whether you want to is up to you.

well you need to read up on whether or not a crime has taken place. There age difference may be a crime in some states. Are you interested in charges being pressed if he is in fact guilty of a crime?

You should be able to file for child support since your child is a minor and you indirectly will be supporting this child. If she keeps going over to this guys house, call the police. She cannot go over there and he cannot have her stay there against your wishes.

Paternity will need to be established.

Also, your daughter is also responsible for supporting this child so she should be encouraged to either go back to school or get a job after the baby comes.

put foot down and control daughter

My 16 yr old daughter is pregnant by a 21 year old (Illinois). She is now staying with him at least 3 days a week against my wishes. He has no job and no means of support. I'm am providing prenatal care. I want to know what my rights and responisblities are. Should I get a lawyer? Am I responsible for providing for the baby? What happens to him if he puts his name on the birth certificate and they see that he is 21?

tell your daughter she is to have no contact with this man, and warn him if he comes near your minor daughter again, he will be arrested, at least for contributing to a minor

As long as your child is a minor you are obligated to support her and are legally responsible for her actions. As Duranie stated, you could file for child support on behalf of your daughter from the father, but paternity will need to be established to collect the child support. BUT if he signs the birth certificate paternity may not need to be established, depends on your state laws.The hospital will not file any charges against the father if he signs the birth certificate, you would have to do that and deppends on your state's law of age of consent. You can call the the office in your city that enforces child support payments to get more information or google your state laws. Information may be available your State Attorney's website.
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/
http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Illinois (I do not vouch for the validity of the content of this website)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back