Landlord says I signed lease, but I didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourtyfour

About two years ago I took a job in Texas (I'm from NY), and for the time being, decided to stay with someone I knew who already lived down there.

This person had an apartment prior to me moving down there. There was no knowledge of me moving down there at the time she signed the lease, so it was only her name.

A couple months after being down there, the apartment complex informed me that I would need to be added to her lease, as I was living there. I explicitally told them that in no way would I be putting my name on a lease with the roomate, as I know she has a long history of not paying bills. I made a point of never putting my name on any document, lease, or bill that had her name on it, as I was fully aware that there would be a good chance I would get stuck paying the bill after I left.

I did however pay her rent most of the time, as well as pay for the electricity. I figured if I was staying there for the time being, I would at very least pay the bills.

After moving down there, several months later I decided to move back to NY. After finding out I was leaving, she knew she would be unable to pay rent or electric and decided to abandon the apartment and moved back home with her mom. No notice, no final bills, and even left her car in the parking lot.

Now, nearly a year after leaving, the apartment complex is coming after me for around 2000 dollars in rent, and cleanup of whatever state she left the apartment in.

I never signed a lease in any way shape or form. They tried to get me to sign a lease, but i refused. The only paperwork I ever signed was an application for an apartment at the same complex, which I never got, as I had already decided to move back to NY. No lease, no tentative lease, or agreement of any sort. I made very certain that it was only an application for an apartment, not an addition to the lease.

This girl is now nowhere to be found, and has such poor credit that the creditors are not even bothering to go after her. The credit agency employed by the apartment complex ended up going after me for $1850. I assume they got my info from the application I filled out a few months prior. My credit (up until this) was perfect, never having a late payment on anything, ever.

I have tried to get the apartment complex to fax me a lease that shows my signature, but they seem to be dragging their feet. They tell me I am listed in the computer as being on the lease, but they dont have the lease, as its over a year old and they will need to look for it at their storage unit. This has gone on since March 1st, with them still not finding the lease.

I know for a fact they will not find a lease with my signature on it, as i was very careful to sign nothing to do with a lease. I told both the complex and credit agency that until they provide me a lease with my name on it, they will never see one red cent from me.

What steps should I take next? The roomate is long gone, her phone & internet have been long since shut off, and I have no idea where she is.

I really dont feel like paying for an attorny, but with them attempting to lean on my house and assets, I am going to be forced to do so soon.

Thanks.

If a collection agency (CA) is coming after you, write a DISPUTE letter to them within 30 days indicating you never signed the lease and leaving out that she does not pay her bills. Short and sweet.

If you have been served a lawsuit, then you need to return to TX OR hire an attorney to appear in court.

Either way, unless the landlord can produce a lease signed by you, you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back