Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Sexual assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bm802290

I received a temporary order for relief from abuse from police officers yesterday. I must appear at court to defend myself in a sexual assault case. The mother of the girl found out that we have been talking online, planning to spend the rest of our lives with each other. I was 25 when i met her at the age of 15. Now, before you pass judgement on me, what our society might consider wrong or taboo, is looked upon as normal in many other cultures and society. Our law system is not built around the ethics of humanity and nature. The legal age of consent is 16 in vermont. I am from NY, and two weeks before her 16th birthday, she asked me to visit and i did, with the sole intention of giving her birthday gifts. When i saw her, we kissed many times, but that is as far as it went. Her mother found out about our relationship and has warned me. Her step-father is a police officer and i knew exactly what i was getting into. All i wanted was to find love before my parents gave up on me to send me off to get an arranged marriage. I've been preparing my parents with the thought of me marrying someone outside our race. Our plans were to get married when i graduate college and after she graduated highschool. I did not perform any sexual acts with her before 16, but since the mother found out that we met 2 weeks before her sixteenth birthday, she is assuming that i "sexually assaulted" her. She is turning 17 and her mother wants me out of her life, and is using this against me. Even if i get convicted, we are going to be married after she turns 18 anyway. I know all this personal information does not matter in a court of law, but I am hoping a judge would be subjective to the details. Is it worth getting a lawyer? I am a senior in college and i cannot afford one. Should I contact the public defender in that Vermont courthouse? I have read posts from lawyers that work at this site, and they give their opinion about the actual crime. I am not looking for moral guidance, I just need to know facts. Please do not pass judgement on me, for I am already overly stressed out about this. This is my life... My record is clean and if i get convicted i will not be able to get a job and support her. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back