misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan_McKinnon

I have a few issues with our current lawyer. On several occassions he has given me false information. My husband is charged with arson that happened 6 years ago. I hired a lawyer that told me he was able to practice in one state but was not. We did not find that out until we got in front of the judge. Now he tells me that the evidence is to strong against my husband. Needless to say my husband lost everything, never even filed a claim. My husband called the fire department and tried to put it out himself. This lawyer had an attitude from the start. My husband lost everything. Now he told me that he could get my husband a deal which we find out never existed. Thank god we got another attorney. He has mislead me on other issues and I wanted to know what recourse I could take. He refuses to return the money we gave him as a retainer. Is there something I can do? They had no intention of fighting for him just getting him a deal...

If the story is what you say, you should send a letter demanding payment and make reference to the fact that you were deliberately misled by the attorney who represented that he could take your case when, in fact, he wasn't licensed. If he doesn't send back your money within X days you'll have no other choice but to report him to the bar for misconduct. You can always go to small claims court since I'm guessing that the amount is under $5,000 for the retainer. I don't like the practice of reporting attorneys unless warranted but if you were shocked that the attorney wasn't licensed and couldn't represent you in front of the judge, then I have very little sympathy if this wasn't a small technical matter, e.g. his dues were late. Good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back