Release of Claims in Community Property State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor

I am interested in going into business with a partner, who lives in a community property state (Arizona). Simply put, her husband is a LOSER, and she is likely to divorce him in the next few years. For family reasons (her children), she will not be able to undertake the divorce this year.

I do not want to build this company with my partner and then have her husband take half of her equity at a future date. My partner believes that she can get her husband to agree to make no future claims on the business.

Question: Is there any document that may be signed by the husband (a "release" or "waiver of future claims"), under which I will not need to worry about having the husband own part of my business?

Thanks!

Question: Is there any document that may be signed by the husband (a "release" or "waiver of future claims"), under which I will not need to worry about having the husband own part of my business?

A: The obvious answer is, "Do not do business with this person." The next most obvious answer is, "If you want to do business with this person, then hire a very good business attorney in your state to see if what you want is possible."

There are no guarantees in this life or this universe...including what you want guaranteed here.

:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back