questionable hiring practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhepburn

There seems to be a trend in hiring that I find questionable. On at least four different occasions over the past six months I have been offered jobs and either at the time of hire or shortly after I've been hired, the job description, salary, duties and hours change.

Companies are deliberately posting false ads for high paying jobs to bring in qualified applicants and then reducing them down to low paying, menial positions. This is not only dishonest but causes extreme financial hardships for the new employee. Yet employers are not being held accountable for their actions.

My present employer has become so manipulative and controlling that I am unable to even look for another job because I can't get time off for interviews. I took a temp job to make up for the difference in salary so I wouldn't lose my home and he demanded the name and phone number of the company.

They are also in violation of state and federal requirements such as providing W4 etc. I dared to question it and was accused of not liking my job and being disloyal to the company. So now I'm not allowed in the store when the manager is not there.

I'm seriously looking at becoming homeless due to the reduced hours and low pay. I am also very concerned about becoming injured on the job because I'm required to now do heavy lifting and moving of large boxes and heavy items. This was not in my job description at the time of hire.

What is your legal question for us?

How do we protect ourselves from being scammed by employers? I know what to do about the obvious state and federal violations but I'm not sure how to handle the bogus job listings. I know too many people who have been taken in by this practice and fear it's only going to get worse in the years to come. Not that I believe I can do anything to stop it but there is some power in knowledge and I feel that potential employees should be informed that the jobs they are being offered and accepting may not actually exist.

Thanks!

Q: How do we protect ourselves from being scammed by employers?

A: Do your homework before you interview.

This is not legal Advice!

I do agree with you to a certain extent that in some cases employers may make a job description sound somewhat better than it maybe but it is down to individual to decide whether or not they are that interested in the package. It is mainly done to attract a better class of person to a bit of a lower class of position, after all if you were in business I am sure you would want the pick of the crop working for you.

It is all about marketing, selling the sizzle and smell and taste before the sausage.

If you unhappy you should try and make the time for another job interview, heavy lifting could keep you off for the day with a bad back.

I am not suggesting doing this; I just could imagine someone somewhere would use that as an excuse.

Good Luck.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back