New law For college students over 127 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltnpepper85

(Forgive me if this is out of place in the forum directory but i couldnt find anywhere else this woud fit)

Im trying to find more information about a law i have been told about from my college proffesors. I've been told once a student is over 127 hours the state of texas has made a law so that they will have to pay out of state tuition. If this is true can you re-direct me to a place online so i can read the law. Also, are there any loopholes for this law that might help me get around paying out of state tuition.
I am wanting this information mainly so that i can write my congressman about my disatisfaction with the law (even though it probably wont matter). Is there anything i could include in my letter that would possibly help my congressman see my case and want to change the law? This law makes no sense to me. If the law is written how it has described to me then even if i dont repeat any classes or take unneccesary classes I will have to pay out of state tuition at some point because with my degree plan i will need 136 hours.
I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

-Dustin

I go to a state of Texas college too, and I also work in an academic advising office there. From what I've heard from the policies at my school, yes this law is in effect now. The reason for it is to keep students from changing thier major too many times and gaining too many hours but never graduating. The theory is if students know they will be forced to pay out of state tuition after so many hours, then they will stick with one field of study and graduate before this goes into effect. I would research the state of Texas website first off. Most degree plans (like mine) only require 120 hours for graduation, however if yours requires more and you haven't changed your major numerous times then I don't see why you should have to be forced to pay more tuition. Good luck! :)

Your congressman has no authority over this.

It sounds like to me it is a state law; talk to your state representative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back