Revival of Dead Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

kosz

Hi All-

I have a question regarding the process of 'reviving' a "dead" trademark.

I am a member of the Board of Directors for a small non-profit judo club in Rochester, New York. We had a trademark registered by our founder back in 1985. We are the last listed owner of the trademark and we have used the trademark commercially as a non-profit organization uninterruptedly since 1979, and continue to use it to this day.

The TESS database shows that our trademark status is "dead", and shows a cancellation date of April 15th, 2006. Our organization was not notified that any action was required, or of the impending result from our failure to fill out the required affadvits. This is likely due to the fact that our founder, who originally registered the trademark in 1985, left the organization in the mid-1990's, and did not update the contact information with the USPTO. Nor was anyone within the organization informed of the process for registering a trademark. None of us are familiar with trademark procedures, and it was only through dumb luck that we stumbled across this issue.

Our organization wishes to revive the trademark as is (without modification), and regain status as the owner of this trademark.

I was unable to find any information on the website that indicated the process for reviving a trademark from a "dead" status, and retaining full rights and protection that registration provides. Can someone please provide some guidelines?

Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back