Please Help ASAP!!! Child neglect second degree with criminal negligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

happygirl27

Situation: a mother left her infant in a car for 15 min because he fell asleep right when she parked at the store's parking lot. She didn't want to wake him up and went quickly to the store to buy a pack of diapers. She was paged by her first and last name to come to the customer service. There was an officer and two more outside by her car, writing a report from some very curious people. After she gave all her info to the officers, they checked her background and all records and issued her Oregon Uniform Criminal Citation saying that she needs to appear in Circuit Court for Child Neglect second degree with check mark Criminal negligence.

Question 1: What would be the fair punishment for her if the child was OK and was still sleeping peacefully and nothing at all happened. Just an endangering the welfare of a child situation, but not intentional. It is her first defense and she has no record on file other than minor traffic violation 6 years ago. It is a Class A Misdemeanor.
Question 2: Should an attorney be hired for this?

Just my opinion

Situation: a mother left her infant in a car for 15 min because he fell asleep right when she parked at the store's parking lot. She didn't want to wake him up and went quickly to the store to buy a pack of diapers. She was paged by her first and last name to come to the customer service. There was an officer and two more outside by her car, writing a report from some very curious people. After she gave all her info to the officers, they checked her background and all records and issued her Oregon Uniform Criminal Citation saying that she needs to appear in Circuit Court for Child Neglect second degree with check mark Criminal negligence.

Question 1: What would be the fair punishment for her if the child was OK and was still sleeping peacefully and nothing at all happened. Just an endangering the welfare of a child situation, but not intentional. It is her first defense and she has no record on file other than minor traffic violation 6 years ago. It is a Class A Misdemeanor.
Question 2: Should an attorney be hired for this?

question 1: I am not a legal expert, this is purely my opinion. If I were a judge I would give her 50-60 hrs of comunity service and a $100 fine. I would not want to seperate the child form his mother but none the less she needs to learn a lesson. She should not leave her child unattended:no: . You never know what kind of creepo is lurking out there.

Question 2: Yes I would. If I really felt like I was innocent of the crime then I would definaly have an attorney becase they know more about the law then the avg citizen.

regardless if the child was not harmed, the child should not have been left unattended. That is a crime in most states. Out here in AZ we have a high profile case of a montesorri school teacher leaving her 3 year old boy in a car while he was asleep, so she could go shopping. She asked a valet who she did not even know towatch the boy. Funny thing is, she took her little dog into the mall with her though. She is being charged with child endangerment.

I imagine she will probably have to take some parenting classes, probably fined. The thing is though, unles charges are dropped, she will pribably have Social Services and CPS on her back now so she might have to deal with them.

I have a 2year old and although its tempting to leave her fast asleep inthe car while I run in and buy something, I would never do it. Too many wierdos out there.

Mom's lucky. If this had been MY jurisdiction, mom ould have been in cuffs and the infant would be in the hands of CPS.

Yes, she should hire an attorney.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back