I need help! I am about to be in a custody battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiquitamarlita

My 3 year old daughter's dad has informed me that he wants my daughter,Julia, to go live with him and his new wife. I am 20 years old and had her when I was 17. He never signed any paperwork for legitimation and was shocked to find out that he and I are not sharing custody of her. What are some things I need to do to prepare myself for what I think is going to be a nasty custody battle? He works overnight as a restaurant manager and I dont really trust my daughter staying with his wife who has allegedly had a few abortions and has never dealt with a child, let alone a 3 year old. Julia goes to a really nice day care that costs me almost $800 a month (with the help of my mom). I live with my family which consists of my mom, dad, son, daughter and boyfriend. Her dad hardly ever comes to see her, has paid only a little over $2,000 in child support since she was born. And he just all of a sudden wants custody of her. I think his mom and the rest of his family have been cooking this up for a while now. The only thing he really does for her is pay for her health insurance. My boyfriend spends more time with her than her own father. He plays with her, buys her clothes, takes her to McDonalds to have a happy meal and comes to her ballet.
Julia's paternal grandmother told her daycare that if her father ever tries to pick her up to not let him because of his drinking and alleged drug use. But now all of a sudden he has made a turnaround and has a clean place, and has "cleaned up a lot" in the past few months.
When i was living with him he didnt take me to go see her. (He and i moved to an apartment to settle down and be stable and have her come move in with us when we settled in to the place.) he oftentimes left me alone in the house for days without food. without power. so i had to go to the woods to get firewood to keep warm. and called friends to pick me up and take me to their house so i could take a hot shower and eat a sandwich. i got sick of it and moved back home with my mom then 2 weeks later he marriend this girl.
please help me out. I am scared and need advice.

He needs to establish paternity first.

You need to hire a lawyer.

well when i was pregnant with her, her paternal grandmother demanded a paternity test done through blood. so we did that but i am not sure if he has it or if his dad has it. i know i dont have a copy of the results because they were emailed to my daughters paternal grandfather. i dont know if he still has them.
my daughter's birth certificate does have her father's name on it, but the legitimation was never done. it is just weird that he never cared to do that but now all of a sudden he wants custody!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back