Felony as a minor! Can I get a FOID Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokor

Hello,

I commited a felony arson charge when I was 15/16. I don't think I was actually convicted of it until I was 16 or 17. Now, I know that if you're under 17 in Illinois you're still considered a minor. My question is, can I get a FOID card? (Firearm Owner's Identification)
I am 23 now, and have served in the US Army for 4 years. I purchased 2 firearms while I was stationed in Georgia. The only state law requirements I had to meet there was proof that I was indeed stationed in Georgia (A copy of the orders putting me in Georgia.) Now I have since been discharged, and am living in Illinois again, in possession of 2 firearms, but without a FOID card. I found the FOID card application online, but it says that I cannot receive a FOID card if I am a felon.
Does anyone know if they will reject my application? Should I say that I was convicted of a felony? Or should I just mark the block that says I was convicted as a minor.

Any help would be appreciated.

... I found the FOID card application online, but it says that I cannot receive a FOID card if I am a felon....

That says it all.

BUT contact the governor's pardons clerk to see what it would take to get a pardon.

... I found the FOID card application online, but it says that I cannot receive a FOID card if I am a felon....

That says it all.

BUT contact the governor's pardons clerk to see what it would take to get a pardon.

But the felony was commited when I was a minor. The card application also has a section where you can state, "were you ever convicted of a felony as a minor"

More information on this please.

But the felony was commited when I was a minor. The card application also has a section where you can state, "were you ever convicted of a felony as a minor"

More information on this please.

More info about what? You can't get this card. What else do you need to know?

hrm

Okay, I've been doing some reading and found this:

"Generally, minors under age 17 who run afoul of the law are said to commit delinquent acts rather than crimes." ... "Records made by law enforcement officers about delinquent minors must be kept confidential and separate from other arrest records"

I was tried in a juvenile court system, convicted of a 'deliquent act' because I was not tried as an adult.

My question was whether or not that made a difference. And if it doesn't, is there a way I can contact someone about getting a FOID card in Illinois since:
1) I have no other criminal record. Not even driving offenses.
2) I am a combat veteren who served in the Army for 4 years, and was honorably discharged
3) I had already legally purchased, and currently own a handgun.

Looking for a little more help, and explanation on what I can do, or why it's not possible at all. Please only respond if you are familiar with Illinois law, and the Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card and its application process.

Okay, I've been doing some reading and found this:

"Generally, minors under age 17 who run afoul of the law are said to commit delinquent acts rather than crimes." ... "Records made by law enforcement officers about delinquent minors must be kept confidential and separate from other arrest records"

I was tried in a juvenile court system, convicted of a 'deliquent act' because I was not tried as an adult.

My question was whether or not that made a difference. And if it doesn't, is there a way I can contact someone about getting a FOID card in Illinois since:
1) I have no other criminal record. Not even driving offenses.
2) I am a combat veteren who served in the Army for 4 years, and was honorably discharged
3) I had already legally purchased, and currently own a handgun.

Looking for a little more help, and explanation on what I can do, or why it's not possible at all. Please only respond if you are familiar with Illinois law, and the Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card and its application process.
First you said you were convicted of a felony and now you say you were convicted of a juvenile delinquent act.

Get your story straight and tell us what the facts are.

In any event, just apply for the card and see if you can get it.

The more you post, the more confusing you get, so just go for it and see if you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back