Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Major Check Fraud / Forgery and Inmate Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christl

A former boyfriend stole my checkbook in late May, 2005 and forged every single check. The amount totaled well over $6,000. The bank closed the account, and I reported this to them, got copies of all of the checks, submitted a form from the bank stating these checks were forged, and had it notarized by their notary. The bank says there is nothing I can do since I elected not to press charges at the time as the person who forged the checks promised he would pay them; stupidly, in good faith, I trusted him to do so. I also reported this to the police. The officer said I have no recourse as I am considered a third party and none of the businesses which he made the checks out to pressed charges. Is there anything I can do to press charges for check fraud or forgery? Presently, I cannot get a bank account, my credit / good name is ruined, I'll have to declare bankruptcy, and all of the stores he wrote the checks to have me listed for "bounced / returned check(s)". Incidentally, my name was the only name on the checks and the account. (One of the checks he forged even has his thumbprint on it!) Frankly, I want this immoral con artist to be held responsible for his actions and placed back in jail so he cannot destroy someone else's life like he did mine.

F.Y.I.: I have a permanent restraining order against this person (which he violated twice and I reported to the police), he was convicted of robbery (he broke into my apartment and stole what was in my purse), and he was convicted of attempted robbery by some other party (store, I believe). He was sent to Huerfano Correctional Facility in Colorado, and his parole date was set for Dec. 16, 2006. I cannot find him via the on-line inmate search, and as the victim, I want to know if he is "out" and on parole. How do I find this information?

From what you say you had the opportunity to press charges and chose not to do so. Unfortunately it is unlikely that a prosecutor will be interested in reopening the case just because you changed your mind.

Contact the CO department of corrections and call them up to see if they have a record of him on parole.

As for the fraud and forgery case, if you were out the $6,000 how are you a third party? If the account was closed and you were NOT out the money for the bad checks, then I can see how the police might consider you an uninvolved party.

However, it is arguable that once you agreed to permit him to pay back the debt you transferred this event from the criminal to the civil arena. I know that is how my local DA would look at it.

- Carl

I agree, you had the opportunity to press charges and didn;t. Why you didn't who knows. If a boyfriend or friend stole my checkbook and used every single check, I would be calling the police.

The DA will likely not do anything since you changed your mind. He either committed a crime, or he didn't. Since you permitted him to pay you back you basically said a crime had not been committed.

You can always sue him in small claims court. 6000.00 is over the max allowed in most states though. It might not be too hard to get a judgement against him but getting him to pay up would be an entirely different battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back