NEED HELP!!! Want to pay bill that went to collections....agency will NOT work with m

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckifest

I have a bill from my last apartment complex with a balance of $1,530.02. What happened was, I got a doberman for a birthday gift this past May & I did not let my managers at the apartments know because I had already had 2 cats & paid my pet fee. I saw other very large dogs in the complex & just really didn't think it was an issue. Well, I had my dog there for about 6 months & I had sighned another lease because my roomate was moving out & my boyfriend was moving in. Well, 7 days after I had sighned my lease the manager asked me if I had a Doberman & I had said yes. She then proceeded to tell me those types of dogs aren't allowed so I had to either get rid of him or leave. Well, I was not getting rid of him so I told her I would leave. Well, not alot of apartments accept those "types" of dogs so it was very difficult for me to find somewhere that did. I was supposed to give a 60 day notice & pay 2 1/2 months of rent..keep in mind I still had to come up with money for a deposit at another place & first months rent at the same time. I could not afford to pay rent at 2 places & take the chance of waiting 2 months because it was not guranteed a unit would be avaivable for me. So they billed me for 2 months of rent, took my secruity deposit & expected me to pay that all in full within 10 days which came out to be around $1600. I had told her I cannot afford that & I would make payments , & mailed them 2 $50 payments within a few weeks of eachother. She then told me that was not enough & she would have to send it to collections. I had talked to the collections agency , who I would like to add was EXTREMELY rude to me , threatening me that I need to pay this in full & if I don't, I won't be able to rent anything ever again or get an apartment etc. Well, they wanted $150 a month from me & I just cannot afford that. I'm a waitress & barley make ends meet as it is but I want to pay this off so my credit doesn't go to crap again. I do not want them to have my checking account to withdrawl money out of every month so I told them I can send them a money order. They absoultely refused that & said they would mail it back to me. I don't know what to do now because I want to pay this but I cannot afford what they are asking from me & I refuse to give them my personal information. Do they have a right to refuse my payment? I mean, I'm making an effort & I'm just so afraid they are going to take me to court or something? What do you suggest I do?

collections

Do not talk to them, do not deal with them whan they call tell them to put everything in writing and send it to you (a po box is good for this) if they say they cant or won't tell them not to call and HAND UP. If they call back and they will let your answere mach. take and record everything. Should you get something in the mail than send a validation letter to them.
I have one if you need it, remember you do not have to talk to a collector you dont have to give any info. to them.

I have a bill from my last apartment complex with a balance of $1,530.02. What happened was, I got a doberman for a birthday gift this past May & I did not let my managers at the apartments know because I had already had 2 cats & paid my pet fee. I saw other very large dogs in the complex & just really didn't think it was an issue. Well, I had my dog there for about 6 months & I had sighned another lease because my roomate was moving out & my boyfriend was moving in. Well, 7 days after I had sighned my lease the manager asked me if I had a Doberman & I had said yes. She then proceeded to tell me those types of dogs aren't allowed so I had to either get rid of him or leave. Well, I was not getting rid of him so I told her I would leave. Well, not alot of apartments accept those "types" of dogs so it was very difficult for me to find somewhere that did. I was supposed to give a 60 day notice & pay 2 1/2 months of rent..keep in mind I still had to come up with money for a deposit at another place & first months rent at the same time. I could not afford to pay rent at 2 places & take the chance of waiting 2 months because it was not guranteed a unit would be avaivable for me. So they billed me for 2 months of rent, took my secruity deposit & expected me to pay that all in full within 10 days which came out to be around $1600. I had told her I cannot afford that & I would make payments , & mailed them 2 $50 payments within a few weeks of eachother. She then told me that was not enough & she would have to send it to collections. I had talked to the collections agency , who I would like to add was EXTREMELY rude to me , threatening me that I need to pay this in full & if I don't, I won't be able to rent anything ever again or get an apartment etc. Well, they wanted $150 a month from me & I just cannot afford that. I'm a waitress & barley make ends meet as it is but I want to pay this off so my credit doesn't go to crap again. I do not want them to have my checking account to withdrawl money out of every month so I told them I can send them a money order. They absoultely refused that & said they would mail it back to me. I don't know what to do now because I want to pay this but I cannot afford what they are asking from me & I refuse to give them my personal information. Do they have a right to refuse my payment? I mean, I'm making an effort & I'm just so afraid they are going to take me to court or something? What do you suggest I do?

OK- 1) a collection agent cannot refuse to accept money. Send them a money order and photocopy it. If it is returned, keep the return letter/envelope. If you get sued, present this information and you will get out of the debt...
2) that being said, the collection agent will not return payment. However, it sounds like this agent is violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act via his remarks (if what you say is true). Record your next phone call and you may have a 1,000$ action againt the collection firm for violations of the FDCPA, and they may elect to drop your claim...
3) that being said, they probably did not make that comment and you would have to sue to collect- something it does not sound like you are ready to do. If you get sued, and you ask for validation, they will present you with the documents you already know exist, and demand judgment. Apollyon's comment to get a PO box is an attempt to avoid being served with the summons and complaint. It is 100% unethical (but this is not certified legal advise)...
4) Your best bet is to send payments and try to come to a payment arrangement. If they are unwilling to arrange a plan with you, it is within their rights to sue you, get a judgment, and collect. this is the american judical system. Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back